Patch Gold
Every birder on every patch, away from the major sites where they turn up dozens of scarce birds every year, feels the same about their own little bit of bird-focus. We all expect nothing, we all have our local specialities, we all grumble about the same issues. We all go through phases of frustration and boredom with the same walks, the same areas to check, the same species seen in the same places at the same times of year.
But we persist. And we persist because every now and again we turn up something brilliant. Not rare. Not a "mega" (and how I hate that weird little word, organising birds into ranks, making some more important than others as though there are elements of the natural world that are worth ignoring). Nothing that would cause the twitch of the year. But something relatively brilliant. A little window of hope and variety and novelty.
I don't have any one single patch. I treat the whole area of my 10km circle as my patch. The fact that this gives me 314.2(ish) square kilometres to cover is mitigated by the fact that a third of that area is urban Salford and a grid-locked pattern of roads that are almost unusable during the day. My circle also includes Wigan and Bolton, large towns in their own right. In reality there are half a dozen sites worth checking and the site that produces patch gold often changes from year to year. What I've found interesting is to put together a little summary of every species I've seen in that circle since 2020 when I really began to look at my local area. When I look site by site it's clear that there are purple patches and patterns for each; when I look as a whole it seems that my grey and disappointing local area has more variety than I give it credit for on any single given day.
In 2026 so far Pennington Flash has recorded Scaup, Iceland Gull, Caspian Gull, a bizarre flock of 10 pale and one dark-bellied Brent Geese, multiple flocks of Black-necked Grebes, Common Scoters, at least four different Ospreys, Little Tern, Garganey, and most recently Glossy Ibis. None of those birds is an incredible rarity these days, but each one of them is a great record in Greater Manchester. On the day of writing, a flock of 6 Glossy Ibis was recorded flying over Winter Hill, at the same time as two separate groups of Ibis were seen at various sewage and water treatment works in Salford. On the day I went to see it, a huge twitch of FIVE actual people made their way to Pennington Flash to watch an Ibis feeding from the Charlie Owen hide. Remarkable - for Manchester.
The Mosses have had a great couple of years, with Nightjar, Bee-Eater, Crane, Black-winged Stilt, Black Kite, White-tailed Eagle, Wood Sandpiper, Cattle Egret, Short-eared Owl, Quail, and Corn Bunting present at various points. Yet dozens of people say to me that they almost never see anything when birding on the Mosses. It's a difficult landscape that demands perseverance and local knowledge, but when it surrenders its treasure it's a genuinely rich habitat. Awkward, poorly understood by most, bleak in winter and ridiculously hard to navigate, the Moss could be the richest habitat in Manchester by some distance once people accept it for what it is.
The moors at Burnt Edge and the surrounding area are the most disturbed habitat in my local area. The massive increase in dog-walking (largely off-lead) following on from the surge in people buying pets during Covid lockdowns, along with an uptick in mountain biking and the gentrification of every car park to include an artisan coffee truck has meant that the only place to see Red Grouse in my local area has become severely compromised. And yet this year we've had great numbers of Cuckoo and Ring Ouzel, a significant passage of Tree Pipits, potential local breeding of Redstart and good numbers of Spotted Flycatchers through on migration. Wheatear and Black Redstart pass through, and there is hope for the restoration of habitat to bring back breeding Dunlin, Golden Plover and Curlew. Wood Warbler breeds here, and Goshawk hunts over the forest edges. If you'd told me thirty years ago that I could expect to see Raven, Goshawk, Little Egret, Cuckoo, Ring Ouzel and Black Redstart 20 minutes from home I'd have laughed at you. Yet they're all right here, close to where I live.
Add to these some sites where Bittern, Willow Tit, and even Otter can be found, plus those one off birds that just appear - like the Great Northern Diver at Rivington Lower and the Slavonian Grebe at High Rid reservoirs - and it's clear that even here in urban west Manchester/south Lancashire a birding year can be varied and interesting. Manchester isn't an underrated gem of birding that demands parity with coastal migration sites, but it is an underestimated place where bird life perseveres in green veins within the grey. Sure, I'm not going to see the same variety as a year in Norfolk, but I've seen more than 200 species in 6 years in my 10km circle and I'm some 70 species behind the serious birders in the county - there's a lot more potential than I've tapped. If it's true of where I live, it's almost certainly true of where you live too.
I think that there is a mindset that helps when you're stuck living in an area that doesn't always seem great for birding. I think you have to appreciate the landscape and the time outside even if you don't see anything super interesting. Set out to enjoy your walk regardless of the rarity of the wildlife you see; explore and seek in the landscape. You might never see anything unusual, but you can still enjoy every tree, every meadow, every pond, and, when these landscapes and the usual species you encounter all the time are your baseline for contentedness, then finding the Spotted Flycatcher on a ridgeline in August will feel like Patch Gold.



Comments
Post a Comment